Wednesday 18 December 2013

My heart will go on...hopefully

So, I arrived in the A&E department of the Ulster Hospital, within minutes I was in triage. The nurse there told me I looked very weak & unwell even though my vitals were normal. She took me through to the majors unit of A&E, not a nice calm place that's for sure.. I again had blood tests, chest X-ray etc done & again they showed nothing.. But this time my Doctor actually just looked at me, knew there was something going on, that I wouldn't look the way I did if I was perfectly healthy.. It was time for her to clock off for the night so she handed me over to another doctor. I again repeated my symptoms to him, but this time he picked up on one, "I feel worse when i stand up, my head goes really light & the colour drains from my face", so he decided to repeat my ECG, lying down first then standing up.. And FINALLY, they found something unusual. My heart rate when I was lying down was 52bpm. And when I stood up, instantly, jumped to 146bpm. There it was, a black & white symptom. Nothing I could over exaggerate. I was now a very interesting case, 19, post surgery, otherwise healthy, with a racing heart rate, only when standing. I was admitted to the medical assessment unit for the night as there were no beds on the cardiology ward. I continued to be sick through the night even with anti-sickness meds, and became very very restless..The next morning my room was constantly visited by Doctors.. No one had any clue what was going on.. I was given 4 bags of fluids which helped to get rid of the nausea & regulate my temperature even though I still couldn't really eat, especially the horrendous hospital food (minced chicken for example). I was then moved up to the cardiology ward & assigned to Prof. Trinoch & consultant Dr. Donnelly. I was given a telemetry which monitored my heart 24/7, one night I got out of bed & the doctors came running in to see what I was doing because my heart had just raced to 160bpm. I was started on beta blockers to help control my heart rate, within a couple of days I felt much better, I was given the diagnosis of SVT (super ventricular tachycardia), I won't go unto it cause I'll be here forever, but look it up if your interested. I was allowed to go home, & continue to take my beta blocker each morning.
                                                           LJxo

No comments:

Post a Comment